Full Stack/Front End Engineer (London)
£40-80k, >0-1% stock options
Stepsize’s mission is to make software development universally accessible by abstracting away programming languages. This is the first sentence of the job description because it is crucial to us that we hire people who identify with our mission viscerally so that they can carry it forward.
Layer, our first product, is a tool which automatically documents agile software development teams' codebases by leveraging data from the tools they use every day (version control, code hosting, project management, continuous integration, communication, etc.), structuring that data and making it easily accessible from our desktop and web apps.
Over time, we’ll build upon the data available to us to introduce intelligent assistive products to automate the vast majority of what is known today as software development, allowing anyone with an idea to create software without writing any code.
Stepsize is backed by some of the best investors on the planet and has ample runway to iterate towards product market fit.
As one of the first hires and a full stack developer, you will be joining a very tight founding team of long-time friends on their exciting adventure to shape the modern developer’s workflow and push the limits of what people expect from devtools. Expect full support and understanding from a team of four founders who are all technical and want nothing more but to make you part of Stepsize’s DNA.
If the thought of working with cutting edge web technologies to solve a novel set of UX/UI but also technical challenges makes you leap out of bed in the morning, this is the role for you. We are looking for someone that can help us tackle these complex problems, and take our app to the next level of polish. The ideal candidate will either be a full-stack developer with a tilt towards front-end, or a front-end developer with a flair for great UI/UX and a strong urge to learn new technologies.
Layer's desktop app talks to various other moving parts: editors and IDE plugins, the filesystem, and our own servers. The very nature of the product you will be working on will push you to learn, use, and build on top of a wide variety of technologies (React, Redux, Electron, Git, D3.js, third party APIs, data processing etc.). You will also be working on a green field web app project using a modern React stack. You will contribute towards building a responsive and interactive app through which users will browse, search and update the automatic documentation generated by our back-end. To top it all off, you get to build products that fit your needs and that you as a software developer will love!
Aside from the expected technical ability, if you’re a self-starter who wants nothing more than to run with your own initiatives and appreciates candid discussions then come join us :)
- Advanced HTML and CSS experience
- Experience using React in production, or good understanding of React + strong production experience in another front-end framework
- Comfortable working with complicated data-intensive problems
- Experience creating data visualisations
- Experience with Flux/Redux
- Experience designing and building custom UI components
- Experience with at least one Node.js web server framework (Express, Hapi, Koa…)
- Experience with complex problems (complex APIs, data structures, intricate business logic)
- Experience building schemas, and querying complex data on relational database (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Experience building a flexible internal API
- Production experience with Docker
- Experience with a graph database